Skip to main content

Female Travelling Solo


My experiment of solo travelling to Krung Thep Maha Nakhon aka Bangkok, Thailand went well, Alhamdulillah (All praises to Allah).

As a simple girl with big dreams it’s a huge deal for me. I’ve never been outside of Malaysia before. Well, I’ve been to Brunei a couple of times but it’s about 2 hours from the town I’m living in so I don’t consider that as overseas haha! I chose Bangkok because it’s kinda cheap (not backpackers cheap mind you!) My expenditure was more than MYR1K but less than MYR2K altogether (around 1900K for 5 days 4 nights..?? It’s consider expensive for some people but for me it’s fine and it’s the comfort that matters!). Other reason is that it’s safe to travel alone there (at least that’s what I read before I go, and now that I have the experience, it is safe if you don’t do anything silly).

I mustered all of my courage and told myself, let’s do this, with or without a company. I did ask one of my friend (only one-haha!) whether she wanted to join me. Still, 70% of my gut tells me that I should travel alone. Try new things. New experience. Welp it’s a sign to go alone when my friend says no to my offer because she doesn’t have a passport. And so I booked myself two way tickets and hotels and be done with it.

Before I start, this intro is specially for Muslims travellers:

Tawakal

          Now, as a Muslim, this is an important concept. You need to trust Allah and submit yourself to Him whenever you wanted to do something. No matter how hard you plan and how great your itineraries are, it won’t happen if you do not have His blessings. As a human, we can plan all we want, but if Allah feels like it’s not good for you, you might not get it. Don’t be sad, fill your mind with positivity as He knows better. He knows what’s best for you. Keep in mind that you came from Him and to Him you will belong. By submitting yourself to Him, you’ll feel humble and packed with sudden bravery (that’s how I felt along the journey, because I know I have Him all the time, I trusted Him, Allahuakhbar!)

credits to google & pinterest


Okay, here are the tips for solo female travellers :
         

Research, research and research!

          The most important tips! Please do your research thoroughly before visiting new places alone. How you do your research is up to you as long as you understand completely where you’re going, which area you will be staying, how do you get around the city; using what transportation, and what you’re going to do. If you’re travelling to non-speaking English country, do learn a little bit of their phrases so that if emergency occurs you can at least communicate.

For my preparations, I read up a lot of blogs and Tripadvisors reviews and forums. Being a fanatic lakorn lover, I researched a lot about Thailand and I know that not everybody in Thai speaks English. The youngsters do, so does the places where there’s a lot of tourists, they do know basic English. But if you’re going to certain area, some of them do not speak English at all. Also, in my experience, most of the Thai Grabmotor don’t speak English.  So it’s best to at least to write down the basic questions and answers to help you later. Or easier, just show them the Google translate on your phone. I did that most of the time and it does help. I also googled up whether it is safe to travel alone in Thailand and most of the answers came up as SAFE. So that gave me courage and bravery.




Watch a lot of videos if youre too lazy to read long articles or blogs.

          We’re so blessed as we’re living in the tech era where everyone shares their stories, opinions, pictures and videos on the internet. You can just search for the ones you would like to watch and make a note out of it. Plus some of the videos are fun to watch. Just go to YouTube and watch some of the vlogs to feed your mind. Some of these are samples so enjoy. Credits to the owner and a million thanks to them!




Common sense!

            Like all of the other bloggers and solo travellers always say, use your common sense! If you sense something is wrong then it’s best to avoid it. If you’re unsure, abort it. If you feel like it is not safe, abandoned it. Saying NO is great sometimes. And sometimes maybe you will think that to hear and to experience it is two different things. Even so, just try your best to use your common sense and if you realized that you’ve been ripped off even after doing all of those long hours of research (felt like a waste of time, you did your research but shit still happens), don’t be in despair. Learn from it instead of repeating the same mistakes again.

            What happened to me was on the second day I got to Bangkok I’ve decided to use the motorcycle. It’s easier and faster, plus, you can avoid the traffic jam. Sounds like a great deal right? Yes it was, but my mistake was that I didn’t bother to use the grab apps that I’ve installed on my phone. My negotiation skill is terrible so if you put two and two together, you can certainly guess that I got ripped off by the motorcyclists. HAHA! At the end of the day I told myself, so I’ve wasted my money on transportation which I can save more, but what can I do? It’s my first time here, so learn from it, it is fine. Nothing is perfect.



Make Google your best friend......  And other apps too!


            Be it Google Search, Google Maps, Google Translate or even Google Mail, be sure to download these apps to your phones and use it throughout your travelling period. These apps are useful. Other useful apps includes Grab, Muslim Pro (for Muslim travellers to keep track of the prayers time), banking apps, and insurance apps.


For me, 90% of the time I used Google Maps and Grab to get from one place to another. Google Maps is as accurate as it can get while Grab is convenient. As for insurance apps, I just downloaded it in case anything happens   (Alhamdullillah, nothing happened)



Internet


            Back to tips number one, do your research on how are you going to get access to the internet. Ask yourself, do you really need internet when travelling? If yes, are you willing to pay for it or do you prefer free wifi? Free wifi is kinda impossible if you walked around a lot you know. Sometimes you can only get free wifi when you’re in certain places like your hotel room or airport or others. Or perhaps you prefer buying sims? Or perhaps rent a connected broadband for a few days? It’s all up to you. Be sure to know what do you want and make up your mind.

            My initial plan was to rent a connected broadband wifi but due to insufficient funds, I’ve decided last minute that I’m just gonna buy myself a local simcard as it is way cheaper. Plus I do not have to carry the broadband everywhere (extra weight) and mind you, you do need to charge the broadband so there’s 2 cons there. Plus, we’re talking about travelling alone, so why do you even need a broadband for? That is unless if you’re phone is super sophisticated and ate up a lot of internet data which is unlikely to happen.

            I brought my simcard at the airport, next to the departure hall. There’s a number of brands and lots of plans to choose from. I chose AIS 4G Net Sim which costs me 259 Baht (can’t remember the exact plan, but I think it’s 7 days, 2.5gb and 50 Baht free calls to local; I need to make phone calls to the hotel and to my tour guides). On my 3rd day of using the simcard, there’s a text in Thai saying that my data is finished (I asked several Thais bout the text and they said so). I felt like, shit, that’s fast! I planned to top up the credit and subscribe to a new data plan but I didn’t do so and in fact, I used the data as usual (IG, FB, Whatsapp). It went perfectly normal and the internet is working well, not too slow and there’s no restriction. I think the credit is not deducted too. Maybe I’m just lucky after all eh?



Travel Insurance

            Please, pretty please, when travelling alone, well not just alone, generally speaking, do purchase a travel insurance plan if you’re travelling. If you already have a life insurance plan, do look up whether it covers your travel or your holidays. If you don’t have any, hit up the internet or asks around about which travel insurance you should buy. You need travel insurance in case shit happens (anything can happen!). You’re in a foreign country, and suddenly you’ve lost your documents or valuable things (God forbids!), what can you do? You certainly do not want it to ruin your holiday. If shit happens, you can claim the insurance. Now, claiming won’t be easy for certain insurance brand and different insurance have different policies. So before buying one, read up thoroughly and make sure you understand the T&C.

            Some of you might think that what if nothing happens? Will I get back my money? It’s a simple NO. haha! That’s just how insurance and the wonder of lives works. If you don’t buy any insurance, shit happens and you cannot claim and do anything about your lost. And if you do buy one, nothing happens! Well it’s not like this all the time. We should be prepare right? Before it happens we can do something to prevent it am I right? After all, prevention is better than cure.

            I do not mind paying more for insurance because I know if anything happens, I can claim them. I brought AXA Smart Traveller Insurance n took the Smart Traveller VIP plan, which costs MYR 26.25. It covers from the 3rd May 2018 to 7thMay 2018. I chose this insurance as I heard some good stories from someone I know about this insurance. And Alhamdulillah, Thank God, nothing happened. Be sure to check this link and choose the right ones for yourself : 

There’s actually a lot more tips but these are the general ones. Why travel solo you might ask? It depends on the person. I do not like travelling with others as there will be different needs and different people have different preferences. I do not wish them to follow my preferences all the time and I certainly do not want to follow their preferences all the time. It’s much easier to be alone and feel free. If you happened to miss the crucial places to visit, or made poor choices, or even picked up a bad food, there’s no one to blame but you. Even if I do blame myself for making bad decisions, I’ll still be able to sit down and reasons myself to why I did that and what not. In this case, you do not have to think of other people’s feelings. Sounds selfish eh? Well I’ve traveled with few persons before and sometimes it ends up badly. One person is not happy and the rest are affected by their bad moods and negativity. Again, it depends on you.

So this is it for you. I’m hoping these humble opinions and general tips might help you doing a solo travel. May you have a safe trip!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Processor

Tambahkan pengetahuan duniawi kejap. http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/what-is-the-best-computer-processor/ http://www.cpu-world.com/popular.html http://products.amd.com/pages/comparison/desktopcpu.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html

*evil grin*

Yesterday I went to Gurney Plaza. My intention was to shop using the book voucher. I've got Rm100 left for that voucher.  So for me, that's kind of a lot. LOL As my friends and I got there, we ate, we went straight to bookshop. We spent hours & hours in the bookshop.  *I got a thing for shopping books, I love to buy books & stationery's* And poor thing, my friend can't use one of her vouchers. Hmmm. Apparently the cashier was kind of "an ass". In the end, I brought stationaries, moneybox, notebooks, foolscape paper, A4 paper and four classic English novel : 1.Oliver Twist 2.Whuthering Heights 3.Dracula 4.The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn Not sure if I'll read all those till the end, but I'll try eventually :) :D What comes next is I accompany my room mate  to Converse's shop. Well, I'd love to buy myself some brand new shoes, Converse, Kappa, Nike eventually, but then right now I have the feelings that I don'

inferno?

http://insideinferno.com/en/ man, I learnt a lot from these! dah la ketinggalan zaman, buku ya dah lamak kuar, aku baruk nok baca. tedah. but it's okay, better late than never am I right??? just one thing, hohoi, it really does gave details about the histories and places. it is amazing to me. LOL aku yang kurang membaca jadi aku punya pengetahuan am kurang. but it's nice to see something new. (walaupun nangga through google image jak)  daya imaginasi yang kurang membuatkan aku google almost all of the places in that book. hahahha!  tedah aku. cetek gilak pemikiran.  nasib aku idup lam zaman teknologi tek nak. mun jeman mensaya marek abis laaaaa, apa ndak di mejin, gene ndak ka mejin. ahhahaha!  on the bright side, no tech will inspire people to go to the actual place!! from there they will get to see it by themselves. mesti best kan??? wahhh! inspiration! hehe! but it's okay la, learning process. daripada sik tauk, jadi tauk. daripada sik pernah